Sunday, May 21, 2006

Game 1 Recap and Thoughts on the Fans, etc.

Well, it wasnt the greatest game but we still won, so I will take it. The best part was Roli's hail Mary to Pecs. WOW, I was in disbelief even after he scored. I felt Anaheim would score right after that, and a deflected shot from MacDonald did the trick.

All is well though, as we gritted it out and won. The thing is, and other blogs like Lowetide and Blac Dog have suggested this also, is that I no longer feel nervous every game. It seems that my psyche knows the Oilers will win, and allows the rest of my body to remain relatively calm. Its a feeling I havent had as an Oiler fan since I was a little kid. The late 90's and early 00's were not kind to me and other Oiler fans, always hoping that by some miracle we could desperately cling to a victory or two.

This brings me to the other point I wanted to make. All the fellas, and ladies ;), over at the Hockey's Future boards seem to be very loathe to suggest that there is even an iota of a possibility that we might lose. I can understand their reluctance and respect the superstitions, I think its time to ditch the self depreciating fan behaviour.

Lets get a little cocky. Why not? The '80s Oilers were all about swagger. So why not these guys? The current edition doesnt boast the likes of Gretz, Mess, Kurri et al., but they believe in themselves and each other. They know they can win and dont seem to get flustered when things arent going well for them. They show no signs of panic and will fight back from anything. I mean, Hemsky is blocking shots and dishing out hits. He gets steamrolled by Beauchemin and gets up and scores. They arent scared of anyone and know FEEL they can win it all.

I think the fans are doing the bos a disservice by not buying in as well. No need to keep it secret, sing it loud and proud!

GO OILERS GO!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Hit Counters
Shoes